Elisa Camahort Page was a marketing person in Silicon Valley before co-founding a company called BlogHer in 2005. Since then, this scrappy startup has turned into a global women’s media company. One of her strengths is knowing the secret weapon in building a business or growing a community: empathy. This strategy can help you get what you want without acting like what the other person wants is “wrong”. This is just one of the many gems of wisdom that today’s incredible guest will share in our conversation.
Connect With Elisa:
Elisa Camahort Page
Elisa Camahort Page on LinkedIn
Elisa Camahort Page on Twitter
Elisa Camahort Page on Facebook
The Mission Log:
- [02:17] - Elisa starts things off by sharing a bit about herself, her background, and her mission in life.
- [04:08] - We hear about Elisa’s experience with growing a community from scratch with BlogHer.
- [07:55] - What happens if you build a community, and you give and give and give, but don’t see fruits from your labor?
- [11:47] - For Elisa, it’s deeply personal to help other women share their stories, especially because so much of history is written by men.
- [12:56] - Orion has heard a recommendation to record an interview your parents and ask them questions about their lives.
- [15:42] - Looking back, what were the biggest lessons that Elisa took away from building her blogging community?
- [20:46] - Elisa talks about how to prepare herself to be in the situation she has been describing, and suggests getting over the automatic emotional response.
- [22:32] - Orion takes a moment to recap the three pieces of advice that Elisa has just offered to listeners.
- [23:45] - We hear more of Elisa’s thoughts on failure, with her asking when we decided that failure was to be avoided at all costs.
- [25:29] - What are some of the secrets and challenges of women collaborating together?
- [29:12] - Elisa has a conflicted relationship with the word “girl” when it refers to adult women, she explains.
- [30:38] - We learn about Elisa’s forthcoming book, which will be available in September 2018 and is already available for pre-order!
- [32:51] - Orion just recently got dual citizenship because of what’s going on politically. Elisa then points out that if people got engaged more in their own communities, it would help address some of the polarization.
- [34:32] - What are some of the tips or issues that Elisa touches on in her forthcoming book?
- [39:01] - Elisa believes that we cannot be happy if we’re not activating on behalf of the things that we believe in. She also discusses her perspective on boundaries.
- [41:55] - Orion shares her experiences in coming from Israel, which is a very direct culture, and sne and Elise discuss culturally different communication styles.
- [45:11] - Elise tends to err on the side of being direct and forthright.
- [47:36] - What are Elise’s three top tips for living a stellar life? 1. Behave in alignment with your values. 2. Appreciate your own boundaries. 3. Respect what drives you and what doesn’t drive you.
- [49:09] - Elisa talks about where people can find her and her new book.
Links and Resources: