The best way to keep yourself safe in a world that can be unpredictable and sometimes dangerous is to be aware, alert, and prepared. I've invited my good friend David Nance onto the show in order to discuss these issues. David is a personal safety expert who has been featured on many TV channels, and knows all about protecting and defending yourself. He started off by creating the law enforcement training division for SABRE Security Equipment Corporation, the largest manufacturer of pepper sprays, personal safety equipment, and products for law enforcement, and today he's ready to share his twenty-plus years of wisdom.
Connect With David:
PersonalSafetyExpert on Facebook
@DavidNancePSE on Twitter
David Nance on LinkedIn
Personal Safety Expert
The Mission Log:
- [02:32] - David starts things off by sharing a bit about himself and his history in the personal safety industry.
- [04:49] - What do listeners need to know about self-defense? David answers, then Orion discusses her own experiences with safety issues in Israel.
- [09:12] - David responds to the experiences that Orion has shared, then the two of them discuss the vulnerability of people who often aren’t present (due to being on their phones, for example).
- [13:19] - Orion shares a more recent experience that illustrates that scary things can happen even in safe areas.
- [14:39] - We hear David’s thoughts on the Santa Monica episode that Orion has just mentioned.
- [17:06] - David shares his thoughts on gun policy and discusses the importance of training and responsibility.
- [20:35] - What should listeners do to prepare themselves for any type of situation?
- [22:20] - Orion shares the origin story of Krav Maga. She then talks about a powerful exercise she learned in Krav Maga to help prepare your body to react powerfully in dangerous real-life situations.
- [26:32] - Has David ever encountered a dangerous situation?
- [28:30] - David talks about learning how to take a punch, and what it feels like the first time you’re hit square in the jaw.
- [29:52] - Orion talks about whether she has used (or consider using) pepper spray for self-protection.
- [31:38] - David discusses how using pepper spray would work in relation to the specific hypothetical scenario that Orion has just provided.
- [33:22] - We hear about the difference between pepper spray and pepper gel.
- [34:21] - What are some of David’s top tips for women in regard to safety?
- [37:58] - David shares some tips and techniques for creating physical distance and keeping yourself safe.
- [40:39] - When using pepper spray, aim to go from ear-to-ear (meaning side-to-side) across the eyes rather than just trying to dot the eyes.
- [41:21] - What does pepper spray actually do to the person who gets sprayed? And if you get attacked, what body parts should you go for when fighting back?
- [42:50] - David talks about how to recognize whether someone is dangerous. He then shares his thoughts on home security systems.
- [45:34] - What should you do when somebody knocks on your door?
- [46:45] - David shares his three top tips for living a stellar life: 1. Have a plan. 2. Do what’s necessary. 3. Live well, be healthy, and be happy.
- [47:15] - Where can people reach David or find and buy his products?
Links and Resources: