When it comes to your work in the world, you can’t spend too much energy worrying about being liked. When you’re operating in the role of a leader, odds are people will either love you, or won’t like you at all. Jeffrey Van Dyk joins me today to share this and many more insights into leadership. In our conversation today, we’ll talk more about leadership, as well as how to upgrade from a wound-driven operating system to a purpose-driven operating system, finding and connecting with your tribe, and how to bring who you truly are into your work and into your life.
Connect With Jeffrey:
Jeffrey Van Dyk on LinkedIn
@jeffreyvandyk on Twitter
The Mission Log:
- [02:56] - Jeffrey starts off the conversation by telling us a little bit about himself.
- [04:20] - Who are the people who have influenced Jeffrey the most as far as what he teaches today?
- [08:17] - Orion shares her story of wanting to be liked when she came to the United States after spending several years in Japan.
- [09:56] - Jeffrey ties what Orion has been saying into the concepts of magnetism and marketing.
- [15:32] -- If we stay on the surface level of the drama of struggling against ourselves, we can stay stuck there for years, Jeffrey points out.
- [19:02] - All of our wounds have both an expiration date and a purpose, Jeffrey explains, and explores how he reacted to his own wounds.
- [22:12] - Jeffrey points out that there’s a void that occurs when something is painful and it doesn’t make sense.
- [24:23] - We learn more about how our wound-driven operating system works, and that it’s fueled by reactivity.
- [28:12] - Jeffrey explains what he meant by saying that what used to be purposeful can become poison.
- [31:16] - We hear about Jeffrey’s experience with his parents when he was young.
- [33:45] - How do you clean out your emotional wounds?
- [37:01] - Jeffrey talks about moving from a wound-driven operating system to a purpose-driven operating system.
- [40:44] - We hear about a few specific sessions and conversations that Jeffrey has had with clients.
- [42:56] - Orion talks about the shadow work that she does with her clients.
- [44:19] - What are Jeffrey’s three top tips for living a stellar life? #1. Grace, and remembering that there is a redemptive love in the world. #2. If you feel alone or like you don’t belong, recognize that you do have a tribe. #3. Realize that it’s not all work.
- [47:01] - Orion reveals that she just came back from Budapest, and points out that she has achieved a lot just because she took some time to have fun.
- [47:35] - Where can people find and connect with Jeffrey?
Links and Resources: